Fellow Movie Buffs

Monday, March 8, 2021

"Captain Fantastic"

Based on its title, you'd think this was a movie from the Marvel Comic universe you'd never heard of. It's far from it. Viggo Mortensen plays a middle-age hippie who's raising his family off the grid. somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. He's training them survival techniques while giving them a home education that's light years ahead of anything they'd get in a conventional school system. When he learns that his institutionalized wife has committed suicide, he has to decide whether to attend her funeral in New Mexico or not. After he's warned by his father-in-law (Frank Langella), that he's not welcome, he opts to make the trek. This film is much more than a fun road trip adventure. It's about relationships, redemption, being true to one's self, and much more. As an aging hippie myself, I could totally relate to the lead character. And I enjoyed it so much, when it ended, I was tempted to start it over again. As a bonus, much of the soundtrack featured music from one of my favorite groups, Sigur Ros. My only beef is with the title. But after ruminating on it for a while I decided, what else could it be called?! 

5 out of 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment