Fellow Movie Buffs

Thursday, June 13, 2024

"I Am That"

 2018 *Not Rated* 1h 45m  As the movie opened I thought to myself, "This is going to be cheesy." And I thought I'd give a half hour and was probably going to bail. But I'm really glad I stuck with it. This is why I love indie films.

I am Thais about a nun Skylar (Amielynn Abellera), who's taken the vow of silence. When she finds out her sister has died, she decides to go on a journey to visit her grave. She has eight days to complete her sojourn and then has to decide whether to rejoin the convent or not. On her trek she runs into a handsome drifter Rob (Paul Blott) and Ezra (Ezra Colon) who thinks he's a Samurai warrior. The three of them quickly bond and it's fun to see them interact. And like any road trip flick, they run into their fair share of quirky individuals. 

The acting was much better than I expected. The writing was solid. And the story was, well, captivating. You just had to stick with it and see where it's going. It has a mystical quality, mainly due to various almost psychedelic scenes in it. They add a spiritual element to the film, without being too bizarre.

Overall all the elements added up to a very unique film that I'll probably end up watching again. Kudos to everyone involved in the making of this little gem. I can almost guarantee it'll put a smile on your face! I can't wait to see what the director does next!

4 out of 5 stars

Currently streaming for free on Hoopla.com (with your library card), Tubi and Freevee. And to rent on Prime Video. 


No comments:

Post a Comment