Fellow Movie Buffs

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

"A Million Ways to Die in the West"

 2014 * R * 1h 56m  I put off watching this because I thought it was your typical Western and I'm not a huge fan of the genre. Well, there's almost nothing typical about this hilarious movie. Think Blazing Saddles with a whole lot more swearing. This is one, raunchy cowboy movie. 

The film is from Seth MacFarlane, the man who brought you Ted and Family Guy and is just as funny and irreverent as Ted. Albert (MacFarlane), is a wimpy sheep farmer whose girlfriend Louise (Amanda Seyfried) has just left him for the owner of a mustache grooming supply store Foy (Neil Patrick Harris). A new arrival in town Anna (Charlize Theron), strikes his fancy and they start a relationship. Which is fine until he finds out she's married to a natorious gunslinger played by Liam Neeson. 

The movie has a ton of humorous characters including Ruth (Sarah Silverman), a hooker who works at the saloon/cathouse. I especially love when the dialogue is written in modern language and slang. One of the funniest scenes is in the beginning of the film where Albert goes on an extended diatribe describing all the ways you can die in the west. It's truly laugh out loud funny. I have to admit, I watched this while I was working out and had to stop and catch my breath I was laughing so hard. 

This is one of the funniest films I've seen in quite a while. I just wish I had seen it when it first came out. Obviously it's not for everybody and it gets pretty juvenile at times with the bodily function style of humor. But overall, it appealed to the 12-year old in me. And I look forward to seeing what Mr. MacFarlane does next! Bravo!

4 out of 5 stars

Currently streaming on Netflix and to rent on Prime Video.






No comments:

Post a Comment