Fellow Movie Buffs

Monday, August 30, 2021

"Before I Go"

 2021 1h 38min

Every once in a while a movie comes along that just knocks me out. Watching this film was like being hit by a velvet sledgehammer. I saw it a couple weeks ago, and I decided to watch a little bit of it last evening to refresh my memory. It hooked me in a second time and I ended up seeing the whole thing again. This indie film is why I’m so in love with movies. 

 

“Before I Go” stars Annabella Sciorra and it could almost be considered a one (wo)man play. She’s on the screen for most of the movie, and what an amazing presence she is. She plays Samantha, a former folk singer that lives in New York and for the last 20 years or so, has had a series of mundane jobs. The movie opens with a series of angsty vignettes with her interacting with fellow New Yorkers. They’re rather comical and sort of set the tone for the rest of the film. 

 

After one encounter with a nasty driver, she injures her leg. She’s treated at a local clinic and when she gets a bottle of painkillers, she briefly considers suicide. Samantha runs into a gentleman who she thinks is a priest and has an extended, albeit one-sided conversation with him. Without giving away too much, let’s just say the scene takes an amusing turn. 

 

One of the ongoing themes is her relationship with her father, brilliantly played by Robert Klein. He’s one of those actors who’s instantly recognizable. Like me, you’ve probably seen him in a million things without knowing his name. He’s a widower-his wife committed suicide years ago-and he has an apartment full of memories (mainly junk) he just can’t part with. The two constantly talk about uncluttering their respective abodes. 

 

The movie is absolutely full of surprises, which include Internet dating, quirky characters, revelations about her mother, and believe it or not, an endearing relationship Samantha develops with an earthworm! I won’t say anything more about said earthworm except you’ll just have to see this film to know what I’m talking about. I simply loved everything about “Before I Go.” The acting, writing, cinematography, and music are all perfect. 

 

As a special bonus, even though this movie was just released at the end of July of this year, it’s available to view for free on Hoopla.com! It’s also available through Amazon Prime. 

5 out of 5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment