Fellow Movie Buffs

Monday, April 12, 2021

"Danny Collins"

Confession: I’m not a huge Al Pacino fan. I think he’s a decent actor, but he seems to play the same role, over and over. So when this movie came out, it wasn’t on my radar. In fact, I didn’t even know it existed until I saw it was a recommendation for me on Kanopy.com. I’m glad I took a chance. In it, Pacino plays Danny Collins, an aging rock star that just won’t give up his drinking, drugs, and womanizing ways. Think Neil Diamond. Actually, he sings one of his huge hits, which shares the melody of “Sweet Caroline.” 

 He gets a letter from John Lennon as a birthday gift. It was in response to a letter he sent Lennon when he was first starting out in the biz, but he never received it. It has a huge effect on him and he decides to change his life. And that includes connecting with a son he’s never actually met. Well, things don’t go according to plan. His grown son (Bobby Cannavale) wants absolutely nothing to do with him. His daughter-in-law, (Jennifer Garner) is a bit more receptive and tries to help them reconnect. 

 

Christopher Plummer plays his agent, and as usual, does a wonderful job. Collins helped him when he was a bottoming out as a raging alcoholic, got him into rehab, and looked after him through the years. The two became life-long pals and business partners. And Annette Benning, playing a hotel manager who is relentlessly wooed by Pacino, is her usual superb self. 

 

The movie is based on a true story. I instinctively guessed it was about Neill Diamond, since they used the music to “Sweet Caroline” to represent his huge hit but I was mistaken. It’s actually the story of Steve Tilston, who I’ve never heard of. Not exactly a household name in the world of rock. But it made for a pretty entertaining movie. 

 

As an aside, I particularly enjoyed the beginning of the movie. A rock magazine writer is interviewing Danny Collins as a young star. I kept looking at the longhaired hippy and thinking his voice sure sounded familiar. It was Nick Offerman, who plays Ron Swanson on Parks & Rec--just about the opposite of a bearded hippy! Too funny. 

4 out of 5 stars




 

No comments:

Post a Comment