Fellow Movie Buffs

Monday, April 5, 2021

"Concrete Cowboy"

When a Black teenager is expelled from school for fighting, his mother takes him to Philadelphia to spend the summer with his father. While there, the young boy, Cole, has some growing up to do. He falls in with a childhood friend who is a drug dealer. His father, who is truly an urban cowboy, wants him to work in the stable and attend to his horses. It's an interesting story, or stories I should say. I had no idea that there was a tradition of Black owned stables within the confines of a major city like Philadelphia. Of course, with urban renewal and gentrification, there's a battle brewing between the Black horse owners and the developers, itching to make a buck. Overall, I enjoyed the movie, however I thought the filmmaker couldn't make up his mimd what story he wanted to follow. I think it would have been a stronger film with one storyline instead of two. 

3 out of 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment