Fellow Movie Buffs

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

"Plus One"

2019 * Not Rated * 1h 38m  I've been watching a fair amount of heavier, and darker movies. So I needed something fairly mindless to view. When this one popped up on Netflix, I thought I'd give it a chance. I was not disappointed. Sure, it's totally formulaic, and you pretty much know what's going to happen. But sometimes, that's okay. And this turned out to be a heck of a lot funnier than I was expecting.  

"Plus One" stars two actors I'd never heard of--Jack Quaid and Maya Erskine. They both play off each other well and are absolutely hilarious together. The plot is pretty basic. Two old friends Ben (Quaid) and Alice (Erskine) are inundated with wedding invitations. It seems like everyone they know is getting married. So they decide to be each others "plus one" during the wedding season. They agree ahead of time that the relationship is going to be strictly platonic. Yeah, right!

As you'd guess, they eventually fall for each other. They not only didn't see it coming, but they try to resist  their natural attraction The two of them have some amazing chemistry, and here it's funny that Alice is the foul-mouthed one. She spews a constant stream of one liners and digs at both Ben and the situation they've gotten into. I laughed out loud a number of times, which is pretty rare for me. Overall, I really enjoyed the film. I just wish there were more like it out there!

3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Note to parents: While the movie is Not Rated, I'd probably rate it "R" mainly for language. 

Currently streaming on Netflix, Hulu, The Roku Channel, and to rent on YouTube and Prime Video. 



No comments:

Post a Comment