Fellow Movie Buffs

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

"Cowboys & Aliens"

 2011 * PG-13 * 1h 59m  I remember when this film came out, I blew it off because of the title. I figured it was some animated screwball comedy aimed at kids. When it popped up on Netflix, I put it in my queue and after seeing the trailer, decided to give it a whirl. What a pleasant surprise. 

Just as its title implies, it is indeed about cowboys and aliens. When I thought about it, why do all alien-themed movies take place in the present day.? If aliens do indeed exist, they could visit our planet at any time in history. So the juxtaposition of aliens in the wild west could actually take place. The story is basically about ETs visiting earth to mine for gold. When humans interfere, they start killing us. 

An unlikely coalition is formed to battle the invaders. Townsfolk team up with a bunch of bandits ,and a large group of Native Americans. The action scenes are very real and believable, not comical like I was expecting. The film is aided by a stellar group of actors which includes Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Sam Rockwell, Paul Dano, Olivia Wilde, and Abigail Spencer. It's an exciting shoot 'em up Western with a twist. If you like action flicks, give this one a try. Trust me on this one. I was pretty skeptical, but I was not disappointed. 

3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Currently streaming on Netflix and to rent on Prime Video.




No comments:

Post a Comment