Fellow Movie Buffs

Sunday, January 16, 2022

"Morris From America"

2016  1h 31m   I was a little skeptical about watching this after I read the description. But the fact that it won several awards convinced me to take a chance. And what a pleasant surprise it was. The film is about a 13-year old black boy Morris (Markees Christmas), who's living in Germany with his dad (Craig Robinson), a professional soccer coach. Morris's dream is to become a rap star, and while I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of the genre, I didn't mind it here. 

The film shows him trying to fit in at school, and is picked on by what he refers to as "German dickheads". He has a crush on a classmate, and we witness the usual high school shenanigans, experimenting with drugs and booze, and staying out too late. Morris performs at a talent show and the results are quite funny. I really enjoyed the way his dad handled all of Morris's misadventures. He was understanding yet firm, and the two  were especially convincing as a family. Overall the movie is charming and has a few chuckles. Give this one a chance--I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

3.5 out of 5 stars


Streaming on Kanopy, Showtime, and Prime


No comments:

Post a Comment