Fellow Movie Buffs

Friday, July 31, 2026

"A Quiet Place: Day One"

 2024 * PG-13 * 1h 39m I'm a big fan of sci-fi/horror films, and I enjoyed the original "A Quiet Place." This is the latest installment in the franchise and I thought it was quite suspenseful. The acting was excellent, and it had a very engaging storyline.

Like the title suggests, it's day one after the aliens take over the planet. As you know if you've seen the original film, the aliens are essentially blind, but have hyper-sensitive hearing. And if you make a sound, you're instantly killed. Here, the action takes place in NYC. A young, terminally ill woman Samira (Lupita Nyong'o) is trying to evade the aliens and just wants to get a pizza from her favorite place up in Harlem. She has her precious service cat with her. Then she meets Eric (Joseph Quinn), an Englishman who's here studying to become a lawyer. 

The two strike up a friendship and together travel the mean streets of the destroyed city. I thought the special effects were great. And there's a scene that really hit me. The couple end up in a bar where her father, a jazz pianist used to perform. In total silence, they pretend Samira is on stage performing in front of a packed house. After she's done singing, Eric presents her with some invisible flowers. It's quite a moving scene. You could sense how much they meant to each other, even though they'd just met. 

If you're looking for a sci-fi thriller with a lot of heart, check this one out. I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

4 out of 5 stars

Currently streaming on Netflix and to rent on YouTube, Apple TV, Fandango, Prime, and other streaming services. 




No comments:

Post a Comment