Fellow Movie Buffs

Monday, March 4, 2024

"Spaceman"

2024 * R * 1h 47m  I'll say this right off the bat: I'm not a huge Adam Sandler fan. In fact, when I see what looks like an interesting film on Netflix, I'll put it in my queue. But when I find out Sandler is in it, out it goes. But every once in a while he surprises me. And lately, he's been appearing and shining is some pretty dramatic roles. I especially enjoyed his performance in "Uncut Gems."

I sort of had my doubts with this one. But I'm glad I watched it. I'm a huge sci-fi buff. In fact, my favorite movie all time is "2001: A Space Odyssey." I think this one is almost as deep. It's more about being a human than anything else. And it's ultimately about coming to terms with who we are.

Jacob Prochazka (Sandler) is an astronaut on a long mission to collect dust from the outer atmosphere of Jupiter. His pregnant wife Lenka (Carrie Mulligan) is back on earth. The two are having marital problems and seldom communicate. One day he meets a spider-like creature on his ship. He's a bit shocked at first but eventually he gets comfortable with the creature.  Over the course of time, the two of them have some very heady conversations. His presence makes the viewer wonder whether he really exists or is he a figment of Jacob's imagination?

I won't say much more about this film except that just about everything is perfect. The acting. Storyline. Special effects. And the beautiful soundtrack. If you want an action flick, avoid this movie. But if you want something deeper and moving, give it a shot. Kudos to everyone involved in making this fine film. 

4 out of 5 stars

Currently streaming on Netflix 

.



No comments:

Post a Comment