Fellow Movie Buffs

Saturday, November 25, 2023

"Real Steel"

 2011 * PG-13 * 2h 7m  I vaguely remember when this movie came out. I didn't know anything about it except that some of it was fixed in Detroit (my hometown), and I was pretty excited about that. Well, I finally got around to seeing it, and what a fun movie it turned out to be. 

The story takes place in the near future where people are fascinated with robot boxing. Charlie (Hugh Jackman) is a retired boxing champion who has taken up robot boxing. He's just barely scraping by when he finds out his ex and the mother of his chile Max (Dakota Goyo) has died. His sister-in-law wants to adopt him but before the deal is sealed, Charlie negotiates to get his son for the summer and a bunch of cash. He uses the money to buy a new robot which is quickly destroyed. Then Max discovers an old, previous generation robot in a junkyard, which he rehabs and starts using to win bout after bout. 

I thought the movie was great fun. It's wonderful to see the two learn about each other and bond. And the fight scenes are extremely engaging. Of course, the film is fairly predictable, but that's what you want in a family movie. If you've never seen "Real Steel" I encourage you to check it out. 

3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Currently streaming on Netflix and to rent on Prime Video.



No comments:

Post a Comment