Fellow Movie Buffs

Friday, July 21, 2023

"Love in the Villa"

 2022 * TV-14 * 1h 54m   I watch a lot of pretty heavy-duty movies. So every once in a while I need something light and funny to view. And there's nothing like a good old-fashioned, rom-com for therapy. I put this one in my Netflix queue a while back, and I finally got around to watching it. What a pleasant surprise! Sure it was fairly predictable--show me a rom-com that isn't--but that's what made it so enjoyable. 

Julie (Kat Graham) has dreamed of visiting Verona, Italy since she was a little girl. She's a hopeless romantic and yearns to visit the home of "Romeo & Juliette." Just as she's about to embark on her trip with her boyfriend/fiancé Brandon (Raymond Ablack), he drops the bomb and says maybe they need some time apart. So she decides to make the trip by herself. When she arrives at her apartment, she discovers it's been accidentally double booked. And the "gentleman" who's already there Charlie (Tom Hopper), isn't willing to share the place. Thus begins a minor feud which snowballs into an all-out war between the couple. It's this battle that makes for some very funny moments. 

And it'll come as no surprise that the couple eventually make up. Even though their personalities clash, they have quite a bit to offer each other. I really enjoyed the movie for what it is--a simple, pleasant tale where everything works out in the end. The views of the city are worth the price of admission alone. And I thought the two leads really did have some chemistry together. I hadn't heard of either one of them, and I look forward to seeing what they each do next. 

If you're looking for the perfect date night movie, "Love in the Villa" will certainly fit the bill!

3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Currently streaming on Netflix.



No comments:

Post a Comment