Fellow Movie Buffs

Saturday, October 15, 2022

"Yes Man"

2008 * PG-13 * 1h 44m I've made it a habit over the years to avoid films starring Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler. Although, Adam Sandler has surprised me lately playing straight role. And for some reason, I thought I'd give this Jim Carrey movie a shot. I missed it when it came out, but when it popped up on Netflix recently, I thought I'd give it a shot. I could always stop it if it got bad. And it never did, actually!

Yes Man is about Carl (Carrey), a total loser. He has a few friends, but he never goes out and does anything. Life is quietly passing him by while he sits home and watches movies from the video store. He's a loan officer at a Savings & Loan and is constantly being passed over for promotions. Then one day he runs into an old friend Nick (John Michael Higgins) who's happy as a lark and just in love with life. He lets him in on his secret--he's attended seminars led by a guru who's whole philosophy is to say "yes" to every opportunity that arrises. By saying "yes" you open up a whole new world of opportunities. 

Nick even takes him to a revival-style meeting where he receives the word along with a whole auditorium of converts. And it changes his life. He meets a zany girl Allison (Zooey Deschanell), who he falls in love with, by saying "yes" to everyone applying for a loan, his company starts raking in the bucks and he gets promoted.And his life does a 180 degree turn. It's just a fun, charming movie and Carrey rarely resorts to his annoying, zany displays. I just wish he'd make more of the types of movies. This is proof that you can make a comedy without acting like an idiot. Well don Mr. Carrey. 

3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Currently streaming on Netflix, and Prime Video.



No comments:

Post a Comment