Fellow Movie Buffs

Monday, November 8, 2021

"Nico, 1988"

 2017 1h 33min   An engrossing biopic about Nico, the Velvet Underground singer and Andy Warhol protege. The film covers the last year of the stars life where she struggles with a number of issues--drug addiction, being taken seriously as a musician, dealing with her past, and trying to reconnect with her son. Trine Dyrholm does a brilliant job portraying Nico who is a character you can empathize with. It also stars John Gordon Sinclair as her faithful manager. He's one of those actors that make you say, "He looks really familiar. What have I seen him in?" We follow Nico on tour playing small venues, staying in third-rate accommodations, and performing with some sub-par musicians. I'm not a big fan of biopics in general, but when it comes to an intriguing personality I know next to nothing about, I give it a shot. In this case, I'm glad I did.

4 out of 5 stars


Currently streaming on Kanopy and Hulu



No comments:

Post a Comment