Fellow Movie Buffs

Sunday, September 26, 2021

"The Starling"

When a movie stars Chris O'Dowd and Keven Kline, you know it's going to be good. I can't recall either actor being in anything unwatchable. However, I was a little reluctant to see this Netflix film when I saw Melissa McCarthy's name in the credits. She can be hit or miss with me. But in this film, she does a great job. She proves she  some acting chops, although her range is a bit limited, I feel. The story is about a couple, McCarthy and O'Dowd, who have lost their child to SIDS. O'Dowd ends up institutionalized white McCarthy's character soldiers on working her menial job at a War-Mart type store. A counselor at the mental institution suggestions she visit Kline, who's a psychiatrist turned veterinarian for help. He reluctantly talks to her and guides her through her grief. Meanwhile, a pesky starling makes her life miserable while she attends to her garden. It constantly attacks her and the situation necessitates her wearing a football helmet in her yard. 

The movie was well done and I thought all three actors had great chemistry. It was a bit predictable at times and formulaic--I'd say Hollywood-ish, but since Netflix produced it, I guess I'd have to say it was Netflix-ish. But overall, it was well worth watching.

3.5 out of 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment