Fellow Movie Buffs

Monday, April 20, 2020

"Dean"

I'm a big fan of Demetri Martin. I think he's one of the smartest comedians around, and I love his stand-up comedy specials on Netflix. When I heard he'd written and starred in a movie, I was a bit hesitant to watch it. I've seen movies by other excellent comedians that, well, were a bit disappointing. But this film was excellent. And it's much more than a comedy--it has a great deal of depth. Martin plays Dean, a young illustrator whose mother has recently passed away. He and his father, brilliantly played by Kevin Kline, are dealing with their loss. Dean flies out to L.A. for a job interview while his dad, against his wishes, decides to sell their Brooklyn home. Martin's clever illustrations are interwoven quite effectively into the film and add to its significant charm. The movie is about grieving, without being melancholy, and the prospect of budding romance. It's not a laugh riot, but it's not a downer either. Just a solid hour and a half of great filmaking.
4 out of 5 stars

                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment