Fellow Movie Buffs

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

"The Last Face"

Powerful movie, but not for the squeamish. It weaves the complicated love lives of two doctors with the story of war-torn West Africa. Charlize Theron is an aid director for a humanitarian organization who is in love with a field doctor, played by Javier Bardem. The story jumps back and forth in time, which I found a bit confusing at times. The two spend quite a bit of time on the ground caring for the sick and injured. It's brutal and graphic at times, and often gets quite intense. My only complaint is that much of the dialogue between the two was just above a whisper, so I missed some of what they shared in their intimate moments. I guess I'll just have to watch it again. I thought the cinematography was some of the best I've ever seen. And how can you beat the two principals when it comes to riveting performances?
4 stars out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment