Fellow Movie Buffs

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

"The Tribes of Palos Verde"

I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw this title recommended to me by Netflix. And once again, with their algorithms, they seem to know my taste in movies. This one totally flew under the radar. It's about a young family who move from Michigan to a rich community in California. The dad, a famous doctor has a reputation for infidelity, and of course, as soon as they get settled, he starts an affair. The mother, played brilliantly by Jennifer Garner, is about as unstable as one can get, yet remain sane enough to raise her two children. Her daughter takes solace in surfing while her son is consumed by drug addiction. The family is about as dysfunctional as they get and some of the scenes are painful to watch. But I found the acting, story, and scenery riveting. Another indie gem.
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment