Fellow Movie Buffs

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

"Playing for Time"

This movie had been in my Netflix queue for quite some time, and I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. It's based on a true story and takes place during WWII, when a Parisian chanteuse is rounded up and taken to a concentration camp. There she joins a number of female musicians to be part of an orchestra that entertains their German captors. It was a made for tv and features a riveting and nuanced performance by Vanessa Redgrave. Apparently, there was some objection to her playing the lead role since she was a Palestinian sympathizer, and both Barbara Streisand and Lisa Minelli were considered for the the part. I can't imagine anyone else starring in the movie. It's a tad long, but well worth watching, and I don't see how it could be cut. The trailer is pretty dated it's from 1980) and a bit corny. Also, the entire movie can be viewed on youtube.
5 out of 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment